Saturday, 4 April 2015

Prior to assuming guardianship of Lizzy.

Dear Sarah Morgan,

Perhaps it was unfair but I started reading First Time in Forever when I was in a bit of a reading slump.  I’m sure I read the first few pages of some perfectly good books but I found I couldn’t settle on anything.  In the end, I decided I needed to just “push through” and your book was the one open at the time I made that decision.  While First Time in Forever had a bit of a lacklustre start for me (most likely due to my own reading mood more than anything else) by the middle of the book Emily and Ryan had managed to win me over.  That has to count for something, right?

Your new series is based around three women who met at college and became BFFs.  Brittany, the archaeologist, inherited Castaway Cottage on Puffin Island, Maine, from her grandmother and upon doing so, immediately presented her friends, Emily and Skylar (artist/jewellery designer), with their own key.  They made a pact to always be there for one another, no matter what.

books

When Emily’s estranged half sister, famous actress, Lana Fox, dies in a plane crash, Emily is suddenly named guardian of her six year old niece Juliet (but known as Lizzy on Puffin Island).  Emily had never met Lizzy before and had never imagined raising a child.  After a tragedy in her own childhood, Emily made the decision not not let herself get close to anyone, not to let herself be vulnerable.

Tears hadn’t featured in her life for twenty years. She’d made sure she didn’t care about anything enough to cry about it.

Of course, if she had really not let herself get close to anyone, she wouldn’t have let herself get close to Brittany and Skylar either, but I went with it for the sake of the story.

Prior to assuming guardianship of Lizzy, Emily had been working as a business consultant for a large Manhattan firm. Her role fell victim to a round of downsizing and around the same time, her boyfriend of three years, Neil, announced she was too cold and dumped her.   By the time the story starts, Emily has no reason to go back to Manhattan and no strong ties to any other place, except maybe Puffin Island, which holds some treasured girlhood memories from her summers there with her friends and Brittany’s grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment